I warmly welcome you to this website, put together at the insistence and with the assistance of friends.
During my diaconal ordination, Cardinal Edmund Szoka gave me the following instruction from the Ordination Rite as together we gripped the Book of the Gospels:
"Receive the Gospel of Christ, whose herald you now are.
Believe what you read.
Teach what you believe.
Practice what you teach."
Those words have never lost their resonance.
Since that day -- October 8, 1998 -- I have tried to live up to that commission to be a "herald of the Gospel," by striving to teach what the Church believes, to practice what I preach to others, and to spread with joy and enthusiasm the truth Christ has entrusted to His church -- in and out of season, in and out of the pulpit.
This website is a chronicle of those attempts.
It constitutes the "five loaves and two fish" (or even less!) that I have placed into the hands of the Lord as an attempt to feed a hungry crowd, confident that, if He wishes, He can multiply and supplement that meager offering to nourish many more (Jn 6:1-14).
Fr. Roger J. Landry
- The Courage that Flows from Faith, Fourth Friday (II), February 5, 2016
- Preaching the Gospel in Life and in Death, Fourth Thursday (II), February 4, 2016
- Bearing Abundant and Abiding Fruit from the Year of Consecrated Life, Feast of the Presentation, February 2, 2016
- The Spiritual Poverty That Helps Us Prioritize People Over Pigs and Pride, 4th Monday (II), February 1, 2016
- Known, Consecrated and Sent Out as Prophets to Love like Christ, 4th Sunday (C), January 31, 2016
- Our Faith in Jesus' Saving Mercy, Third Saturday (II), January 30, 2016
- Growth in Faith versus Growth in Vice, 3rd Friday (II), January 29, 2016
- Responding to God's Word with Light, Care, and Generous Measure, 3rd Thursday (II), January 28, 2016
- Running to Win No Matter When We Begin, Septuagesima Sunday (EF), January 24, 2016
- Receiving, Responding to and Rejoicing in the Word of God Fulfilled in Our Hearing, 3rd Sunday (C), January 24, 2016
- A Conversation with Pope Francis about God's Mercy, The Anchor, February 5, 2016
- Receiving and Extending Jesus' Five-Fold Mercy, The Anchor, January 22, 2016
- What the Year of Mercy is Not, The Anchor, January 8, 2016
- God and Sinners Reconciled, The Anchor, December 24, 2015
- The Grace Only Great Sinners Have, The Anchor, December 18, 2015
- Why a Jubilee Year of Mercy? The Anchor, December 11, 2015
- Making Up for a Lost Opportunity, The Anchor, December 4, 2015
- Saturday Night Reparation, The Anchor, November 20, 2015
- Scandals, The Anchor, November 13, 2015
- The Universal Call to Spiritual Heroism, The Anchor, November 6, 2015
- The Role of Faith and Faith-Based Groups in Promoting and Building Peace, United Nations, February 4, 2016
- Interfaith Harmony and Development, UN Headquarters, February 3, 2016
- Catholic Men: Receiving and Paying Forward Jesus' Five-Fold Mercy, January 30, 2016
- Becoming Ambassadors of Mercy Incarnate and Ministers of Mercy Above All, Tulsa Clergy Convocation, January 25-27, 2016
- The Link between the Octave of Prayer for Christian Unity and the Jubilee of Mercy, January 19, 2016
- Making Straight the Paths: Priests, Advent and the Year of Mercy, December 1, 2015
- Thinking with the Church, Day of Recollection for Kenrick-Glennon Seminary, November 10, 2015
- Three Aspects of Pope Francis' Reform of the Church, 2015 Meeting of the Missouri Bishops and Major Superiors of Religious Congregations, November 9, 2015
- Lessons for a Priest's Baptismal and Ministerial Consecration from St. Teresa and St. Margaret Mary, October 14, 2015
- Rediscovering Virtue, Catholic Medical Association Annual Education Conference, October 3, 2015